Monday, January 24, 2011

My Heart Hurts: In Honor and Memory of David

"I have no words to convey how I feel at this moment. It is with a broken heart and non-stop tears that I must whisper to the wind……
Today I held Capt Snuggles for the last time. I cradled him in my arms as I watched him go. The pain and emptiness I feel is beyond meaure. I am broken."
(http://transplantedx3.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/it-comes-to-this-2/)

These are the words of one of my Liver-Mommy friends, Amy, upon losing her son, David, Today... January 24th.

I have no adequate words to describe the way this makes me feel. The best I can do is heartbroken, grateful, frustrated, anguished... helpless, motivated.

I'm heartbroken for this family, the pain that they must be going through after their battle for David's life. David received a liver transplant at 3 months old, on August 18th, 2010 here at Cincinnati Children's Hospital. He was born with a rare disorder called Urea Cycle disorder called Citrullinemia. He developed complications following his liver transplant and never recovered. This loss can be nothing short of devastating. I cannot imagine the absolute grief. My heart hurts to think of it.

I'm grateful for what I have. I know that Kai very well could have developed similar complications, but she didn't. I watch her amazing spirit and budding personality (who am I kidding, she's in full bloom!) and marvel at her very existence. I'm a lucky momma and I am keenly aware of it.

I feel helpless to do something for this family. To convey some word or gesture of comfort. Nothing seems like enough.

I feel motivated to find a way to help.

A few days ago I posted a blog about a Nation-wide blood drive in David's honor. I urged people to roll up their sleeves and give a pint. You see, David received multiple blood transfusions on a daily basis due to internal bleeding, just to keep him alive for his short stay here on Earth.

If you've not already given, please, I urge you again, consider donating blood in David's honor and his memory this month.