This morning, when Kai woke up, she told Mimi (my mom) that she was going to stay in bed and wait for "Prince Daddy to come kiss me awake!" Ryan is on his way from Dayton Airport as I type... in a state-wide Level 1 Snow Emergency.
The cost of flying back and forth every other week isn't cheep. But, more than monetary expense, the emotional impact it's having on our family is incalculable. How do families who travel for a living do this on a regular basis? It's been 8 months and I feel like I'm losing my mind (more than the usual mommy-sanity check). Ryan misses us, the kids need their daddy and I need a husband... or a live-in nanny. Since I can't afford the latter I'll go with the husband. Ryan also suggested that I marry a rich old man and he become my cabana boy but, I think I'm a little past my gold-digging prime.
A decision has been made. At the end of February, we will go back to Maryland for an extended visit. If, come May, Ryan still has no job prospects, it will become a semi-permanent move back with the hope of finding a job in Ohio at some point in the not-too-distant future.
The last 8 months have not been a total loss. Ryan finished his degree, is almost done with the remodel on our house in Baltimore, and we know that we definitely want to be in Ohio, as a family, at some point. We've rediscovered Cincinnati, where we both grew up, reconnected with family and breathed new life into old friendships (for that I am most thankful).
We are not admitting defeat, we're just adapting the plan. Home may be where the heart is but, for now, home also must be where the job is. Here's hoping that the job market in Ohio is refreshed come this spring!
The cost of flying back and forth every other week isn't cheep. But, more than monetary expense, the emotional impact it's having on our family is incalculable. How do families who travel for a living do this on a regular basis? It's been 8 months and I feel like I'm losing my mind (more than the usual mommy-sanity check). Ryan misses us, the kids need their daddy and I need a husband... or a live-in nanny. Since I can't afford the latter I'll go with the husband. Ryan also suggested that I marry a rich old man and he become my cabana boy but, I think I'm a little past my gold-digging prime.
A decision has been made. At the end of February, we will go back to Maryland for an extended visit. If, come May, Ryan still has no job prospects, it will become a semi-permanent move back with the hope of finding a job in Ohio at some point in the not-too-distant future.
The last 8 months have not been a total loss. Ryan finished his degree, is almost done with the remodel on our house in Baltimore, and we know that we definitely want to be in Ohio, as a family, at some point. We've rediscovered Cincinnati, where we both grew up, reconnected with family and breathed new life into old friendships (for that I am most thankful).
We are not admitting defeat, we're just adapting the plan. Home may be where the heart is but, for now, home also must be where the job is. Here's hoping that the job market in Ohio is refreshed come this spring!
No comments:
Post a Comment