As this debate hits the political forum, antivaxxers and provaxxers alike are proposing bills to support their cause. There is talk of law suits against parents, just trying to protect their children, on both sides.
This is getting ugly.
While this debate has centered, primarily, on those who choose to vaccinate and those who do not, those who have no choice (like my family), due to medical issues, are coming forward to tell their stories.
It's not just a debate between those who choose to vaccinate and those
who don't. There are people stuck in between who have no choice who are
being overlooked. Those are the people, I've been told by antivaxxers,
who may, "Have to die, because it's the normal course of nature." I've
been told I'm selfish for wanting to save the life of my child and
asking them to put theirs at risk. I've been told I'm a "sheep" and to
"get that through my thick skull".
My child has a life-threatening
illness. She is immune suppressed. She was unable to receive any MMR
vaccines because it's a live virus and, the virus itself - not the
"toxins" in the vaccine, are deadly for her. If she is even exposed to
measles, like the children in *this story, she will also have to
have IVIg infusions (through IV, not shots, for several months).
Her
doctors have advised us to keep her from public and crowded places. We
can't go to the zoo, the library, the playground... We have no choice in
this matter. The only thing we have, is our voices, to speak out
against it.
As this issue hits the political forum, both liberal news outlets and conservative, alike, have almost unanimously come down on the side of vaccination. Politicians have also begun to voice their opinions. Some republican politicians, while recognizing that vaccination is important for the overall health of the public, also are fearful of stripping personal liberties and taking away people's choices.
My rights end where yours begin. If your choices indirectly endanger another person, and put their lives at risk, then you are infringing upon someone else's rights.
Regardless of the
antivax argument against this, science does prove that
vaccination saves lives. The evidence is there to support this, but it's
being ignored, dismissed as conspiracy, or twisted.
With regard to this, as this issue evolves from debate to vote, I urge you to please take families like
ours into consideration. I strongly believe this is not an issue of
civil liberties, but an issue of public safety.
1 comment:
Yes, it is getting ugly! This is worse than the Republican vs Democrat crap that divides the nation.
However....
Go get 'em, Mamma Lion; RAWR!
Post a Comment