Like a controlling partner, it hushed me at a birthday party, told me I needed to sit down, and then it made me leave early.
It told me I couldn't go to yoga this morning.
It's a zombie that lives inside my skin. Making me walk stiffly and moan. Making me want to lay down. Making me want to cry.
But, it won't kill me. It won't cripple me. And, it can only be debilitating if I let it.
So, today, I'm telling the zombie to shut up. Today, I am going to make Valentine's with my kids. I am going to go for a run. I'm going to kick some zombie butt.
You see, while Fibromyalgia is NOT psychosomatic - it is a very real disorder characterized by low levels of certain chemicals and hormones and real neurological symptoms - I've found that a LOT of the battle is developing a mental and emotional stamina. Not allowing it to define me.
This is MY life and MY body. I am not a victim. I am a yogi. I am an artist. I am a mother. And, I'm kind of a zombie. A little bit. Sometimes.
So, while I may need to take a nap today to keep the zombie happy - after all, I have no choice but to get along with it; it's not going anywhere. I am not going to let it control my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment