Once again, I debated whether or not to post this. But, on the off-chance it could help someone - even if only to let them know they are not alone - here goes...
Fibromyalgia is characterized by widespread, chronic muscle and/or joint pain, migraines, tender points on the body that are very sensitive to touch, insomnia, brain fog or difficulty concentrating, fatigue, depression, as well as many other symptoms.
It's a mysterious disorder that, until recently, was often thought to be in the patient's head - a figment of the imagination or a psychological disorder, at best. Diagnosis often takes up to 5 years.
In extreme instances, it an leaves those who suffer from it debilitated, barely able to walk or lift their arms, completely drained, unable to coherently put together a sentence, in intense pain and depressed.
I know because I've experienced all of the above.
For at least 2 years, I've been trying to figure out why I hurt all over, why I'm so tired, why I "crash" sometimes and, literally, can barely get out of bed. Those who know me, know I'm no wimp - I've had two home births. I've had teeth pulled and bones set without anesthetic. I've stayed awake in excess of 36-hours in the hospital with my daughter.
Two years ago, I was diagnosed with PTSD and adrenal fatigue. While this is still a standing diagnoses, there is a strong link between stress, PTSD and Fibromyalgia. I notice that I have "crashes" or "flare-ups" after a particularly stressful event, which is what led me to continue to pursue it.
Fibromyalgia is thought, by some, to be a stress-related disorder. Often occurring after an injury or very stressful event. The cortisol and serotonin levels in the brain get all out of whack and the body's response to stress malfunctions.
Now diagnosed, I've been able to pursue treatment options. Normally, fibromyalgia is treated with narcotics and anti-depressants (not because the patient is depressed but because serotonin levels in the body are so low). I'm still nursing my third child and those medications are not an option I want to pursue. Even if I wasn't, it doesn't really fit my life-style. So, I looked for a natural, holistic approach. This may not work for some - there are varying degrees of the disorder, but for me, I've found relief in a combination of natural supplements, diet and regular, stress-relieving exercise.
Specifically, I do yoga and run for 10-20 minutes several times a week. I also eat a diet of more than 50% organic vegetables and fruit; lean, high-quality (natural, cage-free, grass fed, etc.) meats 1-2 times a week; limited gluten, soy, dairy, refined sugars; and lots of water. I take Omega-3, Magnesium, SAM-e, multi-vitamin, vitamin C, probiotic, and antioxidant supplements.
To be fair, I did a lot of this before, so it's not a drastic life-style change for me. I'm just making sure I stick to it and I understand the importance of exercising and taking regular breaks from my 24/7 job as a mom - even if it's 10 minutes on the treadmill when I go down to the basement to change over a load of laundry.
To be fair, I did a lot of this before, so it's not a drastic life-style change for me. I'm just making sure I stick to it and I understand the importance of exercising and taking regular breaks from my 24/7 job as a mom - even if it's 10 minutes on the treadmill when I go down to the basement to change over a load of laundry.
Meditation helps me, too. Of course, I'm a Buddhist - but with 3 kids, I don't often get time to practice meditation! You don't have to be a Buddhist to practice meditation. Studies actually show that it can help with chronic pain and other health issues. Science has discovered that they brain is like a muscle - when we "flex" certain parts of it, it actually increases in size. Meditation helps increase the part of the brain that deals with emotional wellness and pain management. For tips getting started with meditation, I recommend www.wildmind.com.
Yes, this treatment plan can cost a pretty penny, but so can health issues, time "down" or out of work because of flare-ups, and costly medications and doctor's appointments. We go without cable. We watch our spending. I don't have the newest or biggest, namebrand anything. But, I do have my health. And, as an added bonus, my family gets to incorporate these healthy habits into their life-style, as well.
If you're not feeling well and you or your doctor can't figure out why, I encourage you to keep pursuing diagnosis. Research online and in the library. If you aren't happy with your treatment options, do the same. Sometimes, it takes a life-style change. Often, it's not the easiest route. But, it may be the best route in the long run - for you, your health, and your family.
Namaste!
No comments:
Post a Comment