Friday, December 6, 2013

Exposé - United Healthcare


I have been locked in a battle with United Healthcare over numerous issues pertaining to coverage but, namely, Kai's medication. The one she has to have to live.

It's $500 per month. Because of this, they have forced us to go through their specialty mail-order pharmacy. However, they only allow me to renew exactly 7 days before they estimate she'll run out.

It takes two days to compound (mix) and at least another day for shipping. This time, the earliest renewal date is tomorrow. They are closed on the weekends, so I won't be able to renew until Monday.

There is no room for error. If there is any nuance in the amount, any spills or leakage when drawing it up (she is on 0.3mg a dose - that's literally a drop), we run short. No leaks, no spills, no additional dose if she throws up or spits it out. If the shipment is delayed or the stars don't align for any other reason, she won't get her medicine.

Because of the factors mentioned above, she could go a day or more without her medicine. If she misses more than one dose, she has to be admitted to the hospital.

Forget vacations - those have to be planned around medicine, because there is no override to renew a few days early if we don't have enough for the duration of the trip.

Every month, I spend hours, sometimes and entire day, on the phone trying to resolve some kind of issue just to get her medication filled on time. This isn't even including all the denied claims and other obstacles they force us through.

All this for coverage we pay well over $1,000 for a month.

Feel free to SHARE this post.


Signed: One Angry, Fed-up Momma

2 comments:

Kate said...

Ugh. We deal with the same thing with Aetna but luckily we have managed to get an override so we can continue to get tacro without mail order. But it requires that I call each month to get the override. Hugs. Dealing with insurance companies is no fun at all!

007jas said...

Even Georgetown can't get them to override it. If it was something she could go for a few days without, sure, but something that must be maintained so precisely... it's just irresponsible. I'm tired of losing days to this corporation. If I added in all the denied claims and other medications that they've just decided we don't need/can pay out of pocket for, I would have to write a novel. I don't understand what I'm paying for, here.