Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Post


A lot happened in 2012. Some of it good, some of it not so good… 

The year started off with multiple hospitalizations for Kai. She battled reoccurrences of a serious virus, PTSD, a rejection scare and a cancer scare. 

I, also, had some health issues and battled a bit of stress-related depression. I lost a friend who was, and still is in many ways, dear to me. I struggled through a difficult pregnancy, with severe Hyperemesis Gravidarum (more info on HG here) that required hospitalization, preterm labor, bed rest and a traumatic and difficult birth that resulted in almost losing the newest member of our family and a long recovery for us both.

I could choose to focus on these things negatively and call 2012 a "bad year". Instead, I feel blessed. Things could have turned out very differently, but they didn't. All three of my beautiful children are alive. 


Kai is as healthy as she gets and, as happy as can be. She and Reef fill my life with sunshine and a touch of healthy insanity… with a reminder in each moment that life is to be appreciated in the here and now. If it's not, if I give into the distractions of my own expectations, thoughts and emotions; if I dwell in anything but the present, the moment has passed and I have missed it.

Ama is a strong little soul who, no doubt, will hold her own with the rest of our rambunctious brood. She is gentle and sweet and completes our family perfectly. Most of all, she's here and yet another reminder of how fragile life is.

This year, if I have learned anything, it's how to see through the pain and struggles to the beauty and impermanence of each moment. My children are constant reminders and wonderful teachers of this.

2012 has been an amazing year: A year of challenges and healing. A year of miracles and poignant beauty. A moment, now in the past. A reminder to stay in the present.

Happy New Year... Happy New Moment.

No comments: