Tuesday, March 29, 2011

If I can do it, so can you!

First off, let me say that I have had a severe phobia of needles all my life. I'm not sure why but ever since I was a kid I have freaked out when anyone wearing scrubs or a white coat came toward me with a syringe. By "freaked out" I mean running, screaming around the doctor's office, 5 people having to hold me down to give me a shot, having a broken bone set without any local anesthesia and passing out and having a seizure.

For some reason this only applies to medical procedures, such as having blood drawn, as I have had no issues getting anything pierced or being tattooed.

When we had Kai, I had to set aside my phobia and not only get my blood drawn to be tested for her but hold her down, often far too many times in one day, week or month than I care to recall, and keep my own body and voice calm while she was stuck and poked and prodded. She has had more blood and platelet transfusions than I can count.

On the one-year anniversary of her transplant, I participated in a blood drive and, though I managed too keep conscious, I was unable (after 45 minutes and 3 sticks) to fill the bag, which rendered my contribution useless. I was told my veins were too small for the needles... a gauge that is needed to keep from damaging the blood cells.

Very recently, my friend's infant son died due to complications from his liver transplant. She organized a blood drive in his honor because he received so many transfusions during the course of his all too brief life. I decided to give it one more try... Coincidentally, it just happens to coincide with Kai's 3 year transplant anniversary!

So, to the Red Cross blood drive I went! I'm proud to say that I not only filled the bag but I also did not pass out or have any seizures! Due to this whopping success, I hope to make it a regular part of my philanthropic endeavor.

You can also participate in the Captain Snuggles Blood Drive! Just go to www.redcross.org, find your local donation center or blood drive and make an appointment. If I can do it, so can you! Make sure to take a picture and post it on the Captain Snuggles Blood Drive Event page on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/event.php?eid=192767710743786

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I miss being able to donate blood. Due to medical reason's I am not allowed (not I am not contagious, it is too hard on my body so "they" won't let me)

Give and GIVE OFTEN!!!