Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Girl

A little burst of sunshine on a cloudy day. A spinning, bouncing, giggling pink confection with an ornery streak. Little dancing sprite. This is my Kai.

I will never forget the day the center of my universe shifted from me to her... or when it all got pulled out from under my feet. Most days, I don't think about it. Most days I just feel like a tired mommy.

Today, though, I'm celebrating. There is no anniversary or marked occasion. I'm celebrating because it has been approximately 8 months since Kai was last admitted to the hospital. We have skipped over not one, not two, but two and half seasons. This is tremendous progress for a little girl who has spent a week at a time (sometimes more) laying in a hospital bed hooked up to pumps and beeping machines every 2 to 3 months since she was about a year old. Before that, she spent more than half of her first year of life in the hospital, fighting.

So, while I may be jinxing it with everyone around us seemingly "down with the sickness" as one friend likes to say, I'm going to go ahead and raise my glass to my little whirlwind of curly perfection... just because.