Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Kai Ballerina... 3 Year Old Diva

Yesterday, I took the kids to Target just to get out of the house and do something different.  I don't make a habit of buying them something every time we go to the store but I decided it was a special day and they'd just been so "well behaved" at the restaurant before.

Kai picked out an Olivia doll; Reef - an Elmo (despite his thoughts on him the other day: http://myunstilllife.blogspot.com/2011/01/memoirs-of-maltreated-baby.html).

Kai loves anything to do with ballet and ballerinas. Her best friend takes ballet lessons and she watched the Maurice Sendak - produced version of The Nutcracker about a hundred times around the Christmas Holiday. She insists on wearing tights and skirts with "sparkly shoes" - glittery ballet flats - every day as she twirls and pirouettes through the living room. She is the quintessential girly-girl, despite our best efforts not to "over-pink" her as a baby.

So, naturally, when we passed a section with an array of leotards, tu-tus and ballet slippers she exclaimed, "Oh! Mommy! Look at that!" with pure delight and longing shining in her eyes.

"Do you want that? Or the Olivia doll?" I asked. The Olivia doll was quickly cast aside and forgotten without a second thought.

The first thing this morning my little prima-ballerina danced into my bedroom, squealing, "I want to wear my ballet shoes!"

Since donning her ballerina attire, she has busted her brother's lip, lost her TV privileges for the day (we usually watch Sesame Street) and proclaimed, "I do not like people!"

When is the point that 3-year-old drama queens stop being such divas and start listening? Never mind; I already know the answer to that question. I'm in trouble when she turns 12. Is it too late to raise her as a tom-boy?

Anyway, without further ado, I introduce to you, Miss Kai Ballerina, my ballerina princess extraordinaire... and diva.

No comments: