Saturday, November 27, 2010

Has It Been A Year, Already?

One year ago, today, I was getting ready to leave for Georgetown University hospital. Kai had some "funny" labs and we had to take her down for a repeat draw and an ultrasound.  As I moved about the house with my swollen belly, I started to feel some cramping. It got stronger as the morning wore on, packing the diaper bag, getting Kai dressed. Ryan had taken off work to help me with the trip because Georgetown is a good 2-hour drive from where we lived and I was due any day.  In fact, unbeknownst to us, I was due that day!

As we got Kai's blood drawn, my belly ached. The ladies in the lab rushed to get me a chair. The aching grew stronger and more regular during the ultrasound. "I think I'm in labor!" I whispered to Ryan.

Luckily, all of the tests came back clear and we were able to go home, instead of being admitted that day. As we drove back to Baltimore the contractions increased. We called the midwife on our way.

Evelyn, my midwife, met us at the house and checked me. 3cm dilated and in early labor. We all thought I would likely labor through the night and have the baby the next day... on Kai's birthday! She left to get some rest and prepare and we called grandparent's. "It will probably be tomorrow..." we said. We hung up the phone and minutes later I was unable to speak through the intensity of the contractions, rocking back and forth on the bed "singing the song to make the baby come out" we told a concerned Kai.

Not even 3 hours later, Reef Wallace Hollingsworth was born, 100% naturally at home with the assistance of our two amazing midwives, Evelyn and Lori while our wonderful friend Brittany watched Kai. The labor went so quickly they didn't even have time to set up the pool for the water birth.

One year later and Reef is beautiful, smiling and lighting up our lives just as much as his sister does. We have twice the sunshine and happiness in our home and we couldn't be more grateful.

Happy Birthday, Reef! We love you so much, baby boy!

No comments: