Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Kai Update: At Children's Hospital In Cincinnati

Kai spontaneously came down with a fever and acute belly pain Sunday night. We rushed her to Children's, worried that it might be appendicitis. That has been ruled out and we were admitted early Monday morning for observation when her fever shot up to nearly 104.

Blood cultures have started to come back and it looks like some kind of gut bacteria, (like ecoli, ect.). It will take a day or two more before they know exactly which bacteria. They have to treat it aggressively, which means IV antibiotics for 14 days so, they want to put in a PICC line (a central IV line for long term use that goes to her heart). They will probably need to put her under for the procedure and I would welcome any help at that time as I'm not sure if I will have Reef or not when they do it. The PICC placement is being scheduled and I will update when I know when it will be (probably some time tomorrow). After her fever breaks and she starts eating again we will probably be sent home with the PICC still in place to administer antibiotics through it. She's feeling pretty crummy right now. My aunt is bringing Reef to the hospital and I'm going to see how it goes trying to take care of them both here bymyself over night because I need to nurse him and he needs some mommy time... I miss my little buddy. I'll post an update when I can.

No comments: