It's interesting how our definition of what a hero is changes as we mature.
Growing up, my heroes were based on cartoons: He-Man, Wonder Woman... I once jumped off the couch while wearing my Wonder Woman jammies, in an attempt to fly, and gave myself a bloody nose.
In adolescence, my heroes were usually historical figures or scientific ground breakers, like Einstein or Steven Hawking (yes, I do realize that most teenage girls gravitate toward female sports figures or pop stars but, if you know me this is not surprising).
As an adult, my definition of a hero has changed substantially. Since having children, I've often idolized my mother for her constant example of generosity and selflessness. I consider my husband a hero for saving our daughter's life. But, if I were to choose one person that I consider an example of true heroism, it would be my daughter, Kai.
Watching her hold her tiny arm out over and over, with tears in her eyes, to be stuck again and again yet, smile and thank the person sticking her afterward and even give them a hug demonstrates an understanding far beyond her years. Likewise, she faces every challenge head on, no matter how difficult or painful and is so forgiving, even though I'm sure her developing mind has trouble grasping why she must be subjected to such things. I have never seen such bravery, strength, tenacity and forgiveness as I see exemplified by her. She She is amazing to me.
If ever a person were worthy of the title "Hero", I think she would be. If I accomplish just one thing in my life, I'd like to be more like Kai.
Growing up, my heroes were based on cartoons: He-Man, Wonder Woman... I once jumped off the couch while wearing my Wonder Woman jammies, in an attempt to fly, and gave myself a bloody nose.
In adolescence, my heroes were usually historical figures or scientific ground breakers, like Einstein or Steven Hawking (yes, I do realize that most teenage girls gravitate toward female sports figures or pop stars but, if you know me this is not surprising).
As an adult, my definition of a hero has changed substantially. Since having children, I've often idolized my mother for her constant example of generosity and selflessness. I consider my husband a hero for saving our daughter's life. But, if I were to choose one person that I consider an example of true heroism, it would be my daughter, Kai.
Watching her hold her tiny arm out over and over, with tears in her eyes, to be stuck again and again yet, smile and thank the person sticking her afterward and even give them a hug demonstrates an understanding far beyond her years. Likewise, she faces every challenge head on, no matter how difficult or painful and is so forgiving, even though I'm sure her developing mind has trouble grasping why she must be subjected to such things. I have never seen such bravery, strength, tenacity and forgiveness as I see exemplified by her. She She is amazing to me.
If ever a person were worthy of the title "Hero", I think she would be. If I accomplish just one thing in my life, I'd like to be more like Kai.
No comments:
Post a Comment