Wednesday, March 24, 2010

A Kidney For Zachary

Zachary Elsenpeter is a 6 year old boy living in Minnesota who is dire need of a kidney transplant. His father donated to him, initially, but he is in rejection and needs another transplant. Due to antibodies that have built up in his system from rejection, he only has a 3% chance of finding a match. Meanwhile, Zachary is becoming more and more ill.

I have the benefit of a unique perspective on this family's plight. I KNOW the hell they are going through, only they have a much smaller chance of finding a match than we did with Kai and they are faced with the reality of losing their son if one isn't found soon.

I have called and offered to donate. I'm waiting for my kit to be tested to see if I'm a match to come in the mail. I've received approval from Kai's specialists that it is unlikely she will need one of my kidneys (due to damage from her medicine) in the future. I sincerely hope I can be a match.

However, if I'm not, that means there is someone else out there who can be. Please consider offering to donate to Zachary. I know it is a lot to ask of someone but, for us, it is a matter of the inconvenience/pain of surgery and recovery. For the Elsenpeters, it is a matter of the life, or death, of their son.

If you are interested in getting tested to donate a kidney to Zach: If you are A+ A- O+ O- call (612) 672-7270 (Local # for Minnesota Residents) 1-800-328-5465. Have them send you a kit. Take this kit to your local clinic where they will draw your blood. THERE IS NO COST!

You can read about Zachary's story here: http://wcco.com/health/kidney.donor.search.2.1554998.html

No comments: