Friday, September 11, 2009

The Day The World Stood Still

8 years ago today, Ryan was an enlisted officer (I think he was an officer at the time) in the US Air Force working at the National Security Agency (NSA) on Ft. Meade, MD., where we were stationed. We lived on the base within walking distance of the NSA. I used to work at the NSA Daycare as a teacher, right next door to "The Building".
On this day, I was working in an office about 8 miles away from the base, in Columbia, MD. I drove to work listening to CD's, unaware of the events unfolding in New York. When I got to work, a co-worker asked me if I had heard that a plane had hit one of the Twin Towers. "How odd," I thought. A few minutes later, the 2nd plane hit. Everyone stopped working, the phones stopped ringing and a TV from a nearby conference room was rolled out into the lobby and the news was switched on.
What seems like moments later, it was reported that a plane had hit the Pentagon, only 30 miles away. Immediately I knew what was happening. I picked up the phone to call Ryan... silence. No ring, no busy signal, nothing. I tried again and again without success. Terrible images of a plane hitting the NSA filled my mind. I stood up and walked aimlessly through the lobby to the nearest trash can and emptied the contents of my stomach. What should I do? Should I try to drive home? Should I stay at work and continue to try and get in touch with him? I left work and drove back toward the base, not knowing what to expect.
As I drove, I saw the other drivers around me had the same expression I felt on my own face... terror and confusion. How could this happen? Was it over, yet? Stopped at stop-lights I could hear the news broadcasting from every car window. We all drove in a haze, not sure where we were going. Near the Baltimore Washington International Air Port, no planes flew overhead at all. Scilence.
As I approached the base, I could see a long line of cars waiting to get in. Previous to 9/11, anyone could just drive right on and drive right up to the NSA. Soldiers with large rifles, hum-v's and tanks ran up and down all around the base. They inspected my car after checking my military ID, made me empty the contents of my purse and breifcase, dogs sniffed every inch of my vehicle and belongings while a soldier looked under the car with mirrors. I tearfully asked about the NSA and my husband and was assured that all was well at the moment but that they were locking down the base and I should not leave my home until otherwise notified or answer the door to anyone I did not know without propper identification.
Upon arriving home, I answered worried calls from relitives. My father told me he was driving to MD get me, concerned for my safety so near to DC and the NSA. I told him I couldn't leave and that he wouldn't be able to get onto the base. I could tell he was devistated at not being able to protect me from this.
I could not reach Ryan. Several friends called and told me they had spoken to him and that he was okay but he could not come home right now and he could not call me. I had seen soldiers crawling through the woods behind my house with rifles, looking in my shed. I mentioned this to one friend who was a special operative. He told me, "I know, I'm one of those people. It's okay." He told me not to leave the house and not to answer the door for anyone I did not know until he or Ryan confirmed otherwise.
For 3 days Ryan did not come home. I sat, awake, watching the news. I saw images of people holding hands and jumping from the top of the World Trade Center Buildings before they collapsed. I saw them tumble to the ground. I saw news casters break down in tears in the middle of reporting stories. I could not sleep.
A friend who also worked with Ryan came and stayed the night with me, one night... maybe two? I can't remember... so I could get some sleep. (Janeth, do you remember that? Mike was one of the people who called me to tell me Ryan was okay.)
When Ryan finally came home he was exhausted. I was told he received an award for his efforts during that time. Even though I have since worked in the Top Secret Industry and become familiar with much of what happened behind the scenes that day, I still do not know what Ryan did. But, I am so proud of and grateful to him as well as to all my other friends who served that day and all that have served prior to and since.

Thank you for protecting our country. I will never forget.

No comments: