Saturday, August 8, 2009

Right To Be Informed

In a former note, I detailed our recent experience with the 12 week 1st trimester screening. To sum it up, we received an "abnormal" result based on an increased nuchal fold measurement (nothing more than that), and were urged to undergo further invasive testing based on admittedly inconclusive evidence that our baby might have a 1 in 13 chance of having down syndrome or other, potentially fatal, chromosomal defects, which we had then refused.

At this point, we were considered "high risk" and underwent 4 additional sonograms, including a fetal echo cardiogram. At 19 weeks, we were told we, again, had an abnormal result and were urged to pursue additional testing. We were told that our risk of having a health issue was now significantly increased and, rarely, in this situation, would the baby turn out to be "okay".
Keep in mind, the ONLY marker for abnormalities that was found throughout this process was the increased nuchal fold measurement. Everything else about the baby looked perfectly fine.

We decided to have an amniocentesis, which we were told would give us definitive results and put the issue to rest, one way or the other. We were also told that, if we waited until later in the pregnancy, the risk of miscarriage (which is roughly estimated to be 1/200-1/300) would decrease, however, our hospital did not offer the procedure after 20 weeks.

After almost 2 months of agonizing over whether or not there might be something "wrong" with our baby, we have received the amnio results, as well as results from the echo cardiogram. All results came back negative, meaning they couldn't find anything wrong with the baby.
Despite this, we were told we "need" to pursue additional testing because something could still be wrong. My response, "No thank you."

While relieved to know that my baby seems to be perfectly fine, this experience has left me feeling frustrated and disenchanted. These tests and processes are an industry-wide standard in obstetrics today. I feel as though I was pushed into making the decision to undergo a risky procedure that I did not want or else spend the next 5 months of my pregnancy worried, stressed and depressed based on, let me reiterate, INCONCLUSIVE evidence that is often incorrect according to many national and international studies.

As many of you know, I am no stranger to medicine, surgery and medical practices. We spent our first year with Kai in and out of hospitals, fighting for her life. I am certainly a proponent of NECESSARY medicine but I think there are a lot of practices that are unnecessary that have become a standard and the only way we can define the line between the two is to inform ourselves. There needs to be a balance.

Why am I telling you this? Because you have the right to be informed. We all are told we "need" these tests but, while there is decidedly some benefit to knowing early in some cases, there is also a downside. We have the right to know, beforehand, what these tests are for, what the possible outcome and consequences could be and what our options are.

I'm not suggesting expecting mothers deny this testing, but you have the right to make an informed decision and most OB's do not go into detail about what this testing is for and the possible outcome unless you specifically inquire. Even then, in my experience, I've found them to be very cryptic.

I found 2 articles with detailed information on prenatal testing. One that emphasized the positive aspects of it and one that includes information on the more negative aspects. If you or someone you know is expecting or planning to become pregnant, please consider reading them.

Pregnancy & Newborn: The Truth About Prenatal Testing
http://www.pnmag.com/blog/Good_Health/The_truth_about_prenatal_testing

Vegan Pregnancy: Prenatal Testing; Making an Informed Choice
http://www.vegfamily.com/vegan-pregnancy/prenatal-testing-informed-choice.htm

No comments: