Saturday, November 22, 2008

Happy 1st Birthday, Kai!!!

One year ago, today, I was painfully pregnant. We had already made a false-alarm run to the hospital and I was probably cleaning my house like mad, preparing for our new arrival... or, at least, laying on the couch thinking about cleaning the house like mad but too uncomfortable to move.

Six days and 36 long hours of labor later on November 28th at approximately 9pm, Kai Nolyn Hollingsworth graced the world with her presence.

This past year has been the most difficult and the most wonderful year of my life. We were thrown, like most new parents, into the arms of parenthood... the sleeplessness, the wonder, the never ending diapers and thrill of discovery that a first smile can bring. We faced the possibility of losing the most precious gift we'd ever been given, our daughter, and the challenges of getting her through her illness and, perhaps even more, her recovery. We never felt so much pain or so much love.

Though the strain of the situation sometimes threatened to tear us apart, the love we have for Kai, and for each other, only brought Ryan and I closer and we drew our strength from that and from the support we received from our family and friends.

What seems like 10 years worth of experience somehow fit into 1.

Today, we marvel as we look at our little girl, almost 1 year old. She amazes us with her strength and energy. She is so vibrant and beautiful; each milestone is magnified by the challenges she's overcome.

I can't help but feel that she, and children like her, are here to teach us something: to love without limits, to be grateful for each day and for the people in our lives, to live for the moment and to appreciate what really matters rather than focusing on the things that don't.

I'm so thankful that I can celebrate Kai's life and that I am able to hold her each day and watch her grow and learn. I'm grateful for my experience in the last year and I wouldn't change a thing because what has happened is part of who Kai is, and she is perfect.

Happy 1st Birthday, Kai! You've come a long way, baby girl, and we look forward to many, many birthdays to come.

No comments: