Monday, November 11, 2013

What Does it Mean to "Be Strong"?

Throughout the last 6 years, I've been told so many times that I'm strong. That what my family has been through and what we continue to go through is inspiring. That people "Don't know how I do it."

I just want to put it out there: I don't feel strong. I feel tired. My body, my mind, my heart. I feel like some days I'm barely holding it together.

Interestingly, I feel like that most often during the mundane, day-to-day routine. Like running at this constant, break-neck pace is just too much to sustain for an extended period of time and, eventually, I just feel overwhelmed and exhausted but too scared to take a break or pause lest I get even farther behind.

What's more is that, every time someone tells me how strong they think I am, I think of others who have it "worse" than me. Our situation is really much less complicated and difficult compared to many other families in similar situations.

It leads me to wonder… am I really strong? Or am I just like every other momma out there, just trying her best and feeling tired and overwhelmed? Maybe we're ALL strong for what we each have to go through. Maybe there isn't a sliding scale - it's just all dependent on everyone's individual experiences and perspectives. Maybe it's not a matter of comparison? Perhaps there is no place for judgement here in this place called Motherhood, or even on this ride called Life.

So, I'm going to put it out there: No matter who you are. No matter what you are going through. Regardless of what anyone else has on their plate… YOU are strong. You can do this.

And so can I.

Thank you for being my inspiration.

No comments: