I came across this article today about meditation with one's children in the room: http://www.shambhalasun.com/sunspace/?p=21665
Meditation is often thought of as someone seated, cross legged, chanting or sitting in complete silence. While this IS a common meditative practice, it's not the only way to meditate. Meditation is used by it's practitioners to calm or quiet the mind of all the thoughts we have bouncing around in there at any given moment, distracting us from the present and to help us be mindful.
What better technique can we apply to parenting than that? Being mindful of our children and not allowing ourselves to be distracted from the present when we are with them. Giving them our full and undivided attention. After all, that is usually when I lose my patience: I'm off in my own world focused on anything but my kids and they are tugging on my attention, distracting me from my goal, until they do something I cannot ignore. Why not make it my goal to give them what seems to be in such high demand, if only for a moment. But, to do this takes practice.
For me, meditating with my children is all about being mindful and in the moment with them. I sit in meditative posture and watch them go about their business while I soak in the moment and let it pass. If thoughts or the impulse to intervene arises, I observe them and ask myself if intervention is necessary: Are they hurting themselves or each other? Are their actions destructive or inquisitive? Can that mess be cleaned up later?
Occasionally, my practice does need to be interrupted and intervention is necessary. However, it is surprising the calmness and patience I have in dealing with those things coming out of my meditation.
I am reminded of a quote by an unknown author, "Peace. It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart."

No comments:
Post a Comment